It is not uncommon for a woman to suffer from abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) or heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB) at some point during her lifetime. Once pathology is excluded, in practice, management needs to be individualised, considering the improvement of the woman’s symptoms and quality of life. Dr Jason Abbott discusses the structured universal approach of the diagnoses of AUB, with the aid memoirs PALM and COEIN. Once malignancy and significant pelvic pathology have been ruled out, medical treatment is an effective first-line therapeutic option, with surgery.
- Understand the different definitions and terminology for Heavy Menstrual Bleeding (HMB)
- Discuss Statistics on Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB)
- Identify the management of the patient with AUB and the required step-by-step approach
- Describe the introduction of new treatments and the need for the development of novel tools to help diagnose, monitor, and quantify the severity of the disorder
- Discuss the patient’s goals to help determine objectives and quality of life
Uterine Sparing Surgical Techniques in the Management of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding (30 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!