- Understand that Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is a common and disabling problem with a disproportionately large impact on education, work, productivity, relationships, and parenting
- Assess how medical professionals can minimise disruption of parenting, deterioration of family functioning, and safety concerns caused by parental MDD
- Understand how to treat Peripartum MDD in a way that safeguards the physical and mental health of both parents and child
- Identify MDD in parents, review barriers to care and develop an effective treatment plan
- Discuss general strategies and principles of multimodal treatment of MDD
Dr Jon-Paul Khoo is a Psychiatrist in fulltime private practice. Dr Khoo is the Co-owner and Director of the Toowong Specialist Clinic in Brisbane, a large, purpose-built, metropolitan psychiatric practice including a research facility, a novel advanced training program in private practice psychiatry and 20 consulting psychiatrists. His professional interests include mood disorders, the management of complex mood disorders, psychopharmacology, phenomenology, psychiatric epidemiology, public health and teaching.
The Busy Parent with Depression (31 mins of CPD)