Sleep Services Australia specialises in home based sleep monitoring and professional treatment for a broad range of sleep problems, including Sleep Apnoea, Snoring, Periodic Leg Movements, and Insomnia.
Expert: Dr Linda Schachter
Dr Linda Schachter is the Medical Director of Sleep Services Australia, and has been a sleep and respiratory specialist for 16 years with an interest in the diagnosis and treatment of all sleep disorders. Dr Schachter has a long-term research interest in the effects of obesity on sleep apnoea, lung function, asthma and the effects of weight-loss on these conditions. She is a member of the Thoracic Society of AU/NZ, Australasian Sleep Association, American Sleep Association, American Thoracic Society and the Obesity Society of Australia and New Zealand.
In this presentation Dr Linda Shachter, addresses the prevalence, causes and management of sleep disturbance over the menopause transition. Practical approaches to managing this condition will be discussed including the role of pharmacological and behavioural treatment strategies.
- Understanding what sleep deprivation is and how it effects health and well-being
- Discuss the role of hormones like melatonin, oestrogen and progesterone in sleep
- Identify the causal factors of sleep disturbances during the peri-menopausal period
- Describe the impact of antidepressants on sleep
- Assessing sleep disturbances through symptoms
- Discuss pharmacological and behavioural treatment strategies for sleep disturbance
Sleep Disturbances in Menopause (30 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!