This presentation by Dr Renee Eslick explores iron management in pregnancy, discusses iron requirements in the perinatal period of pregnancy, the consequences of iron deficiency, how to dose oral iron in pregnancy and when and how to escalate to intravenous iron. She highlights evidence for IV iron as a procedure that improves haematological parameters compared it oral iron; while also taking into account that evidence of other maternal/neonatal benefits is less certain.
- Understand what the recommended dietary intake of iron is for women and how these requirements change during pregnancy
- Discuss the Iron requirements in perinatal period and recommended intake
- Describe the different consequences of iron deficiency in all women and pregnant women
- Discuss oral iron supplementation for pregnant women in regards to dose, formulation and side effects
- Compare the difference in outcomes between oral iron vs intravenous iron
- Identify potential adverse effects of intravenous iron
Preconception, Pregnancy and Postnatal Iron Deficiency – Why Earlier Detection and Management is Important (23 mins of CPD)
Test your Learning!