Although many terminally ill patients wish to spend their last days at home, few are able to due to a shortage skills needed to manage the medication of symptoms in a home-based palliative care setting. In this session you will learn about some recently developed resources that will enable nurses to train carers to manage these symptoms in the home.
- Understand the traditional limitations to offering home-based palliative care
- Discuss why it’s important to empower carers to manage symptoms at home
- Identify what sorts of medication management tasks carers can be trained on to undertake in the home
- Identify the 8 medications that can be used by carers to manage palliative care patients’ symptoms
- Gain knowledge of the range of resources now available to help nurses train carers to fulfil this role
- Knowledge of the range of tools and support services available to enable carers to confidently manage medications
Palliative Care and Drugs (19 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!