Although many terminally ill patients wish to spend their last days at home, few are able to due to a shortage skills needed to manage the medication of symptoms in a home-based palliative care setting. In this session you will learn about some recently developed resources that will enable nurses to train carers to manage these symptoms in the home.
- Understand the traditional limitations to offering home-based palliative care
- Discuss why it’s important to empower carers to manage symptoms at home
- Identify what sorts of medication management tasks carers can be trained on to undertake in the home
- Identify the 8 medications that can be used by carers to manage palliative care patients’ symptoms
- Gain knowledge of the range of resources now available to help nurses train carers to fulfil this role
- Knowledge of the range of tools and support services available to enable carers to confidently manage medications
Palliative Care and Drugs (19 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!
CPD Documentation and Reflection Activity Tool