Obesity is a chronic, lifelong condition having a range of adverse effects on sufferers, up to and including premature death. These issues are compounded by stigma towards sufferers and a lack of understanding, even among health professionals, of the causes of this disease. Prof John Dixon outlines comprehensive, long-term treatment plans of real patients with obesity tailored to the cause of their disease, their unique challenges, their goals, the treatment options best suited to them, and a multidisciplinary approach where necessary.
- Understand the management options for obesity
- Recognise the patient’s goals and expectations of treatment options
- Explain the challenges in the management of weight loss
- Identify the ‘dose-response’ relationships between weight loss and obesity related complications
- Discuss treatment options for patients with obesity, inclusive of life-long lifestyle modification, lifestyle modification plus pharmacotherapy and surgery (endoluminal therapies)
- Define pharmacotherapies for obesity management and its observation of response along with adjustment of treatment
Obesity Cases: A Practical Approach (34 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!