This presentation will address the prevalence, reasons and management of female genital mutilation and cutting. Culturally sensitive approaches to discussing this condition will be covered, as well as available resources and effective interventions.
- Understand the definition of female genital mutilation and cutting
- Gain awareness of the prevalence of and reasons for FGM/C, worldwide and within Australia
- Identify the types of FGM/C
- Assess the immediate, intermediate, intermediate, and long-term health consequences
- Discuss the pregnancy outcomes resulting from FGM/C
- Reflect on unconscious bias or assumptions, particularly regarding history taking and provision of care
- Gain awareness of effective surgical and public health interventions
- Understand the legal ramifications
Female Genital Mutilation and Cutting (22 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!
CPD Documentation and Reflection Activity Tool