Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) refer to chronic inflammatory diseases that affect all organ systems including, obesity, heart disease, diabetes, mental ill-health, allergies and many more. In this presentation, paediatric immunologist and allergist, Professor Susan Prescott discusses the state of the NCD pandemic and how it is effecting the younger generation, the role of inflammation in NCDs and how the effects of early exposure can last a lifetime.
- Realise the current state of the NCD pandemic and how it's linked to modern environmental and lifestyle change
- Understand the significance of the allergy epidemic and its implications on the younger generation
- Understand how inflammation is a common element in most NCDs
- Identify the early life factors that influence propensity for inflammation in later life
- Understand the importance of early environmental exposures and its effects on immune health
- Discuss how social, cultural and economic determinants of health have an impact on the NCD pandemic
- Realise how nurses can educate and advocate for patients for better long term health
DOHaD – Early Life Solutions to the Modern Health Crisis (32 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!