Dietitian Larissa Telfer presents an overview on hyperglycaemia with a nutrition focus. She touches on the causes of hyperglycaemia, in particular the higher consumption of carbohydrates and how different carbohydrates affect blood sugar levels (glycemic index). She outlines how the modification of diet and eating patterns can help maintain blood sugar levels and the significance of limiting unhealthy foods.
- Understand Hyperglycaemia and its symptoms
- Describe the causes of Hyperglycaemia
- Explain the complications if Hyperglycaemia is left untreated
- Assess the diet history of the patient and outline a new diet structure
- Understand that the HCP and patient need to work together to make changes on the management and implementation on an individualised program may help to elicit positive outcomes
Nutrition Plus offers dietitian-led fertility, pregnancy and infant workshops and personalised nutrition consultations delivered by a team of professional dietitians at numerous facilities around Australia and New Zealand.
Expert: Larissa Telfer
Larissa Telfer is an Accredited Practising Dietitian specialising in nutrition for fertility, pregnancy and early childhood. She represents Nutrition Plus and is also a qualified Diabetes Educator, providing her with unique and specialised skills in all aspects of managing Diabetes. Her clients include those with Type I, II, pre-diabetes or gestational diabetes, guiding them on how to optimise blood glucose levels during pregnancy to ensure the best health for mother and baby.
Dietary Tips for Reducing Hyperglycaemia (25 mins)
Test your learning! (10 mins)
CPD Documentation and Reflection Activity Tool