Research shows meal-replacement products are a safe and effective method of losing weight. Prof Dixon discusses the clinical evidence for Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCDs) and why meal replacements are an essential element in weight management and the treatment of obesity. Prof Dixon addresses misconceptions that this approach is inferior to lifestyle or medication and surgery options, and explains the need for clinicians to familiarise themselves with the VLCD options available.
- Outline treatments of obesity
- Understand how VLCD meal replacements work
- Describe the phases involved in a VLCD diet: intensive, transition, stabilization and maintenance
- Discuss the evidence for VLCDs in weight management
- Outline the common adverse effects or complications of VLCD diets
An Evidence Based Approach to Using VLCDs (24 mins of CPD)
Test your learning!